Donner Lake Triathlon FAQ
Yes, many of our events are set up for a maximum number of participants and therefore do sell out. Register early to save your spot and to pay a lower registration fee. Fees are increased on a tiered basis as the event date nears.
Triathlon and Duathlon events
• Relay Team, each team member competes in one stage. For example one teammate swims, one teammate bikes, etc.
• 3 and 2 person relay teams
• Adventure Racing
• Most of our AR events offer many team sizes. For example you could race as a solo, 2-person, 3-person, or 4-person team. Additionally there are often options to set up your team as a all-male, all-female, or coed
• There is an option a select events to race and be scored as a team. For example you would run and receive an individual time. Your time would be combined with, for example, 5 other times of your teammates and the total elapsed time would be the time used to rank your team against other teams. Also, if you have more than five team members we score the fastest five times and the other times drop out.
Yes, in some of our events there are cut-off times. For example the Half Distance Triathlons have cut-off times. Visit each events schedule page for additional information. Click here for the event calendar.
Occasionally depending on the demand. However, usually the events offers age group, athena, clydesdale and relays divisions only. There is no prize money.
USA Triathlon is the governing body of the sport of triathlon in the United States. Their website is www.usatriathlon.org They sanction and insure our Triathlon events.
The conditions on Lake Tahoe change throughout the seasons. We have found the following link, from UC Davis (who does research in the area) to be a good resource with up-to-date water temperature. One note to consider however, is their temperatures may be a bit colder than what a swimmer would feel on the surface. Typically the water temperature is:
• XTERRA Tahoe City, 64
• Donner Lake Triathlon, 69
• Lake Tahoe Triathlon, 69
• XTERRA Lake Tahoe, 69
• Lake Tahoe Open Water Swim,68
• Truckee Open Water Swim, 68